relocation out-of-range error during linking!

Russell Taylor taylorr at glycine.cs.unc.edu
Thu Jun 14 06:30:12 AEST 1990

	To anwer my own question, the cause of the error line:

Warning: jump relocation out-of-range, bad object file produced, can't jump from
 0x427c88 to 0x10033ce8 (index)

	from the ld program was that there was a data item defined with the
name 'index' and there was also a procedure defined with the name 'index'
The loader tried to make a call to the procedure go instead into the data area,
which it did not like one bit.

	Oddly enough, I found the answer in a release notes for DECstation
ULTRIX.  It appears to have the same behavior.

	Russell