Net problems: one-way dog and disk

Loki Jorgenson Rm421 loki at physics.mcgill.ca
Tue Jun 12 07:09:14 AEST 1990

	Hey ho.....

Scenario: a 4D/20 and a 4D/25, both running IRIX 3.2.1, a second SCSI
disk on the 4D/20.

	We appear to be having net related problem with our recently
installed second IRIS (4D/25).  Two problems in particular seem to
be escaping resolution.  They may or may not be related to each other.

	1)  Dog, the multiple-machine interactive flight simulation, is
not working between our two IRIS'.  Dog runs on both machines without
errors however the pilot on the 4D/25 does not see the plane of
the pilot on the other IRIS (4D/20).  Everything seems fine on the 4D/20.
Have I forgotten to throw some switch on the 4D/25?  I *have* modified
the "dogfight" and "arena"  lines in /etc/services to include them.
I have also rebooted several times.

	2)  Althought not thoroughly confirmed, it appears that if there
is a program running on the 4D/25 which has an open file on the second
disk of the 4D/20, there is a *huge* amount of net traffic originating
on the 4D/25 going to the 4D/20 EVEN WHEN IT IS NOT WRITING TO THE DISK!!

	Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Loki Jorgenson			node:  loki at physics.mcgill.ca
Physics, McGill University	fax:   (514) 398-3733
Montreal Quebec CANADA		phone: (514) 398-6531

	<  Waxing frees the mind and makes the legs smooth >