SGIs trying to boot Suns

Bernard J. Duffy bernie at umbc5.umbc.edu
Sat Jun 9 03:16:48 AEST 1990

In article <DJK.90Jun5191117 at murgon.cs.mu.OZ.AU> djk at cs.mu.Oz.AU writes:
>We have some Irises and Suns on the same Ethernet. When we try to
>reboot a diskless Sun, the Iris responds to the request and tries to
>boot it. Needless to say, this doesn't work, and the Sun gets very
>confused. The Iris in question (uno.cs.mu.oz.au) _is_ a server for
>another diskless Iris (due.cs.mu.oz.au), but I can't find a way to
>get uno to only boot due (which is want (I think) I want).

   This happened to us.  The problem was with SGI's bootparam responding
to a net "boot me" request without making a clean check with it's
bootptab file.  In our case we had an empty  bootptab  file (no disk
less nodes to be booted) and it was confusing the suns on the same
ethernet.  Our solution, which won't work for you was to turn off the
bootp* inet port listeners so it couldn't respond.

>I've tried ftping sgi.com:sgi/src/rpc.bootparamd.Z and installing
>that, but it doesn't seem to have helped. Uno's /etc/bootparams only
>has due listed, and /usr/etc/bootptab only has due after the "%%".

   I remember seeing some  solution coming accross this news group a
while ago that patched that faulty  bootp*d program(s).  I'm sure SGI
knows about this problem and has a solution.  I just don't know whether
it's include in 3.2[.0]; the problem occurred with 3.1 and I haven't
check to see if it's fixed.

**  SGI folks:  let me know if this is fixed so I can leave the
                /etc/services  file  in standard setup.

>			David Keegel    (djk at cs.mu.OZ.AU)

    Enjoy,

Bernie Duffy   Systems Programmer II | Bitnet    :  BERNIE at UMBC2
Academic Computing - L005e           | Internet  :  BERNIE at UMBC2.UMBC.EDU
Univ. of Maryland Baltimore County   | UUCP      :  ...!uunet!umbc3!bernie
Baltimore, MD  21228   (U.S.A.)      | W: (301) 455-3231  H: (301) 744-2954