Best 8mm tapes?

Mark Callow msc at ramoth.esd.sgi.com
Sat Jun 30 12:05:08 AEST 1990

In article <JIM.90Jun29141926 at baroque.Stanford.EDU>,
jim at baroque.Stanford.EDU (James Helman) writes:
|> If top quality tapes don't guarantee long term data storage, will SGI
|> or a third-party have a DAT subsystem out soon?  I understand they
|> are much better in this regard.

Recent articles in rec.video indicate that DAT will not perform any better
than 8mm video tape with regard to tape stretching, data longevity etc.
Once article mentioned that because DAT's contain digital data with 2 levels
of error detection and correction the effects of stretched tape will be
reduced.  However when using 8mm video for backup the data is digital...
--
>From the TARDIS of Mark Callow
msc at ramoth.sgi.com, ...{ames,decwrl}!sgi!msc
"There is much virtue in a window.  It is to a human being as a frame is to
a painting, as a proscenium to a play.  It strongly defines its content."