Best 8mm tapes?

James Helman jim at baroque.Stanford.EDU
Sat Jun 30 07:19:26 AEST 1990

Does anyone know if using the top quality tapes completely saves you
from the write-through problem?  The problem (myth?) as I understand
it is that over time (> 1 year) the magnetic pattern written on one
section tape can affect the next layer with which it is in contact.
I've heard that some manufacturers advise you to rerun the tape every
year just to change the way it's wound on the reel.  Otherwise it's
data decay time.  Since we keep many tapes for 5 or more years, we've
been too paranoid to buy an 8mm drive, although others here seem quite
happy with theirs.

If top quality tapes don't guarantee long term data storage, will SGI
or a third-party have a DAT subsystem out soon?  I understand they
are much better in this regard.

Jim Helman
Department of Applied Physics			6 Trillium Lane
Stanford University				San Carlos, CA 94070
(jim at thrush.stanford.edu) 			(415) 723-9127