SGI/Sun mountd errors (was Re: Power Series Iris as NFS file server?)

Dana Treadwell dana at tread.sgi.com
Wed Jun 6 09:37:27 AEST 1990

>> There is a problem with Sun's backoff algorithm in 4.1 mountd...
>> The result is that SunOS4.1 clients cannot NFS mount SGI filesystems.
> Under what conditions does this occur?  I mount filesystems from various
> SGI hosts running 3.2 and 3.2.1 on my SparcStation running 4.1 all the
> time.  Haven't noticed any problems yet.

Sun's 4.1 version of automount doesn't use the same backoff algorithm as
their 4.1 mountd. Automount uses version 1 of the mountd protocol unless
the "posix" mount option appears in the command telling it to use version 2.

So you can work around this problem by automounting SGI filesystems.

  Dana Treadwell
  dana at sgi.com