SGI/Sun mountd errors (was Re: Power Series Iris as NFS file server?)

Sam Fulcomer sgf at cs.brown.edu
Wed Jun 6 05:01:43 AEST 1990

In article <8441 at odin.corp.sgi.com> jweldon at renegade.sgi.com (Jack P. Weldon) writes:
>There is a problem with Sun's backoff algorithm in 4.1 mountd, and Sun has

>The result is that SunOS4.1 clients cannot NFS mount SGI filesystems.
>
>We plan to fix this from our side in our next software release. This appears

Hmmm..., Well, while we're waiting for the SGI "break" there're two easy solutions:

 - Run some other rpc.mountd on the SGI (if you've got src around somewhere...)

 - run this on the SGI right after rpc.mountd:

#include <rpc/rpc.h>

main(argc, argv)
int argc;
char **argv;
{
        /* unregister with the portmapper */
        pmap_unset(100005,99);
}

(compiled by "cc -I/usr/include/sun -I/usr/include/bsd -o unset unset.c -lsun -lbsd -lrpcsvc")

Now that wasn't so hard, was it?

sgf at cfm.brown.edu
_/**/Sam_Fulcomer