Getting FrameMaker to display on an SGI

James Helman jim at baroque.Stanford.EDU
Thu Jun 28 05:46:46 AEST 1990

> However, someone suggested that I use adjacent colors for the
> background and foreground and using '-fg black -bg red' I would get
> past this error.

Many X clients do not behave properly with static colormaps.  Under
IRIX 3.2's X server, the default visual was static rather then pseudo
like most other common color X servers.  Frame 1.3 can't deal with
that, so you should start Xsgi with the -envm or -pseudo option to
provide a different default visual, then you can use a white
background.  Under 3.3, the X server is started by default with the
-envm option.

But it's pointless.  Like many old clients created back when X servers
weren't too picky about illegal values, Frame 1.3 only works with the
X server's "bug compatibility mode" turned on, e.g. xset bc.  Under
IRIX 3.3, Xsgi no longer supports this mode, so it's best to just wait
until Frame fixes their problems.  I'm hoping Frame 2.0X will be on
better terms with Xsgi.

Jim Helman
Department of Applied Physics			6 Trillium Lane
Stanford University				San Carlos, CA 94070
(jim at thrush.stanford.edu) 			(415) 723-9127