VT100 emulationex

doelz at urz.unibas.ch doelz at urz.unibas.ch
Tue Jun 5 19:02:23 AEST 1990

In article <27263 at eagle.wesleyan.edu>, gravishanker at eagle.wesleyan.edu writes:
> Hi
> 	1. Issue wsh -m 24x80.
>
> 	2. In the newly created window, I issue set term=vt100.
>
> 	3. I telnet to the Vax. First of all, set term/inq fails to get proper
> response from my IRIS, so my terminal type is unknown.
>
> 	4. I set it to VT100 by set term/dev=vt100 on my Vax.
>
> Then I want to edit a file using TPU. The first screen comes up fine. But once
> you want to move down a page, the status line at the bottom vanishes and I
> begin to see text on all 24 lines. A ctrl-w to clear the screen brings the
> status line back and everything looks normal. Obviously I don't want to do a
> CTRL-w to refresh the screen everytime I scroll to the next page.
>
> I would appreciate any help in clearing up this problem. Thanks.

DEC- connections are a mess with SGI. In the meantime, I try the
following:

Run the following in any shell. Install UCX Version 1.2 or higher on the VMS
side. Suppose that your node is called iris.

% telnet <hosthame>

Welcome...

$  set display/create/node="iris"/transport=tcpip
$  create/terminal

and this will spawn a vt100 DECWindows terminal where you can work
with ed/tpu. You shopuld NOT work with ed/tpu/display=decwindows
(crashes TPU with a nice advice how to report the problem to DEC)
and you should NOT try to run the session manager.

The DecTerm is not perfect, but much better than anything I've seen so
far from SGI's terminal emulators.

- Reinhard

PS: (*flame on *)
The reason why a majority of DEC application crashes is that the
font's don't match. I'd like to exchange information with others
which need to have platforms of minor importance (such as DEC) running
besides SGI boxes. (flame off)