VT100 emulation

Scott Henry scotth at corp.sgi.com
Tue Jun 5 17:37:34 AEST 1990

In article <27263 at eagle.wesleyan.edu> gravishanker at eagle.wesleyan.edu writes:

gr> I have a Personal IRIS running IRIX 3.2. I wish to open a window to a Vax
gr> running VMS. I do the following:

gr> 	1. Issue wsh -m 24x80.

gr> 	2. In the newly created window, I issue set term=vt100.

Don't bother, because...

gr> 	3. I telnet to the Vax. First of all, set term/inq fails to get proper
gr> response from my IRIS, so my terminal type is unknown.

A wsh is not a vt100 and won't respond to the inquire, and may (will?)
screw up anything you may run from Irix later (if you keep the window
around after the telnet session).

gr> 	4. I set it to VT100 by set term/dev=vt100 on my Vax.

A wsh is an ANSI, not a vt100. It's been a while since I typed this by
hand, but 'SET TERM/DEV=UNKNOWN/ANSI' works reasonably well for everything
I've tried EXCEPT edt. EDT wants a real vt100...

[...deleted...]

gr> I would appreciate any help in clearing up this problem. Thanks.

A better solution if you have the X11 product is to use an xterm, because
it emulates a vt102, including dealing with the SET TERM/INQ and EDT works
fine (though I don't like to use EDT).

gr> G. Ravishanker

--
 Scott Henry <scotth at sgi.com> / Traveller on Dragon Wings
 Information Services,       / Help! My disclaimer is missing!