System V and disk quota enforcement

David A Higgen daveh at xtenk.sgi.com
Thu May 3 06:41:16 AEST 1990

In article <680 at urz.unibas.ch>, doelz at urz.unibas.ch (Reinhard Doelz / Biocomputing Basel) writes:
> In article <9004302310.AA08541 at operations.dccs.upenn.edu>, YATES at A.CHEM.UPENN.EDU ("YATES, JOHN H.") writes:
>
> > How can System V even consider
> > being in a server environment without disk quotas enforcable by user?
> >

> Here is ONE answer (the only one I got) which concerns SYSV quota:
> [...ftp info deleted..]
> This means - There *IS* something somewhere in netland. I couldn't get...

Hmm. I find it hard to believe that quotas can be reliably enforced without
some kernel modifications.

Rest assured: quotas IS on our list of things to definitely do in the
reasonably near future (though not, I'm afraid, in the release poised to
appear momentarily). I'm taking a planning look at it now; the assumption
is that it will be based on the BSD/Melbourne system.

			Dave Higgen