different speed cpu's in the one box - is it ok?

Chris Wagner jwag at moose.sgi.com
Thu May 3 06:32:25 AEST 1990

In article <1509 at merlin.bhpmrl.oz>, ianh at merlin.bhpmrl.oz (Ian Hoyle) writes:
> The new 3xx series literature states that it is possible to mix & match
> 25MHz & 33 MHz cpus in the one system. Has anyone any experience with this
> yet - ie. are there any gotchas I should know about?
>
> We have a 240 GTX twin tower, and would like to upgrade to a (2.5)60
VGX rack,
> with the original 4 25MHz cpus + 2 new 33 MHz screamers :-) It actually
> works out to be more cost effective to do it this way.
>
> 			ian
> --
>
>                 Ian Hoyle
>      /\/\
>     / / /\      BHP Melbourne Research Laboratories
>    / / /  \     245 Wellington Rd, Mulgrave, 3170
>   / / / /\ \    AUSTRALIA
>   \ \/ / / /
>    \  / / /     Phone   :  +61-3-560-7066
>     \/\/\/      ACSnet  :  ianh at merlin.bhpmrl.oz.au
>                 Internet:  ianh%merlin.bhpmrl.oz.au at uunet.uu.net

There are no 'gotchas' except that if you run parallel code or benchmarks,
the timings may be hard to reproduce, depending on what processor a
particular thread/
benchmark ran on.

If this turns out to be a problem, you may want to specify benchmarks
and things to
run on a particular CPU using runon(1)

Chris Wagner