prefposition'ing psview

Mark Callow msc at ramoth.esd.sgi.com
Sat May 5 09:24:39 AEST 1990

In article <1990May3.170422.29164 at eagle.lerc.nasa.gov>,
pstowne at zargon.lerc.nasa.gov (Charles E. Towne) writes:
|> Mark Callow at SGI (msc at ramoth.sgi.com) responded:
|>
|> >Note you can use the -F option to give Frame a fixed size window suitable
|>                                         ^^^^^
|>                                  he really means psview
|> >for an 8.5 * 11 inch page.  I find this a lot more convenient than having
|> >to stretch out the window.

Oops!  I must have had Frame on the brain that day.

|> By looking at the source code for psview, I discovered there are,
|> apparently, several options like this that aren't documented in the
|> printed or on-line man page.  I'm not a C or NeWS programmer (not yet,
|> anyway :-)), so I'm not sure what they all do.  Could someone
|> knowledgeable describe these options?  (Or, even better, post or point
|> the way to an up-to-date man page for psview?)  Thanks.

Here is the man page from the next release (3.3).  I left all the ^H
overstrike stuff in.  It should be OK if you run it through ul or use
less to view it.

============================= psview.1 cut here =============================
PPPPSSSSVVVVIIIIEEEEWWWW((((1111))))
SSSSiiiilllliiiiccccoooonnnn
GGGGrrrraaaapppphhhhiiiiccccssss
PPPPSSSSVVVVIIIIEEEEWWWW((((1111))))

NNNNAAAAMMMMEEEE
     psview - PostScript previewer for NeWS

SSSSYYYYNNNNOOOOPPPPSSSSIIIISSSS
     ppppssssvvvviiiieeeewwww [[[[
ooooppppttttiiiioooonnnn((((ssss)))) ]]]]
[[[[ ---- ]]]] [[[[
PPPPoooossssttttSSSSccccrrrriiiipppptttt-
---ffffiiiilllleeee  ]]]]

DDDDEEEESSSSCCCCRRRRIIIIPPPPTTTTIIIIOOOONNNN
     _p_s_v_i_e_w puts up a window and runs the user's PostScript
code in it.
     _p_s_v_i_e_w uses a portion of the window that has the proper
aspect ratio for
     a standard letter-size page in portrait orientation.

     If _P_o_s_t_S_c_r_i_p_t-_f_i_l_e is specified, the
PostScript code is taken from that
     file.  If no argument is given, or if a `-' is given as the argument,
     _p_s_v_i_e_w reads the PostScript program from standard input.

     _p_s_v_i_e_w works best with files obeying the Adobe
_D_o_c_u_m_e_n_t _S_t_r_u_c_t_u_r_i_n_g
     _C_o_n_v_e_n_t_i_o_n_s.  (Such files contain special
comments such as %%_P_a_g_e:.)
     When previewing such a file _p_s_v_i_e_w lets you flip
through the pages with
     page boundaries being determined by locating the %%Page: comments.
     _p_s_v_i_e_w provides a slider to move to any page, and a
menu to go to the
     first, previous, next or last page. Clicking the left mouse button goes
     to the next page.  If the document has only a single page, neither the
     slider nor the page movement menu entries appear.

     All commands may be given from the keyboard.  Space or '+' goes to the
     ',' go to the first page.   '$', '>', or '.' go to the last page.   '^C'
     or 'q' cause _p_s_v_i_e_w to exit.

     If the file doesn't follow the document structuring conventions, it is
     treated as having a single page.  If the PostScript program in that file
     calls
sssshhhhoooowwwwppppaaaaggggeeee,,,,
_p_s_v_i_e_w will pause.  Clicking the left mouse or selecting
     the _N_e_x_t _P_a_g_e menu entry will resume output.  When
the window is redrawn
from the menu, any
     pending output is flushed and the program is executed from the beginning
     of the file.

     The options, which may appear in any order so long as they appear before
     the file, are:

----xxxx1111,,,,yyyy1111----xxxx2222,,,,y
yyy2222
            Sets the bounding box of the active part of the psview window.
            The coordinates are given as floating point values in inches.

     ----BBBB     Normally psview draws a box to show the edges of
the paper.  This
            stops the box being drawn.

     ----bbbb<<<<ccccoooolllloooorrrr
ssssppppeeeecccc>>>>
            Sets the background color.  The default is white.  <color spec>
            has the syntax [hr]x,y,z where x, y, and z are either floating
            point numbers between 0 and 1 or integers between 0 and 255.  _h
            selects the hsb color model which is the default.  _r selects the

Page 1                           Release 3.3                        April 1990

PPPPSSSSVVVVIIIIEEEEWWWW((((1111))))
SSSSiiiilllliiiiccccoooonnnn
GGGGrrrraaaapppphhhhiiiiccccssss
PPPPSSSSVVVVIIIIEEEEWWWW((((1111))))

            rgb color model.  An individual color part may be set by, for
            example ----bbbb_g_0._5.  Changing the background
color may have strange
            effects especially if the PostScript file uses color.

     ----cccc     Sets the background to blue and the foreground
to white.

     ----FFFF<<<<ssssccccaaaalllleeee>>>>
            Gives the window a fixed initial size that defaults to the full
            height of the screen.  _S_c_a_l_e, which defaults to
1.0, applies a
            uniform scaling to the default initial size.

     ----ffff<<<<ccccoooolllloooorrrr
ssssppppeeeecccc>>>>
            Sets the foreground color.  <color spec> is the same as for the
            background color.  Changing the foreground color may have strange
            effects especially if the PostScript file uses color.

     ----llll     Makes psview use a portion of the window that
gives the aspect
            ratio of a landscape oriented 11 x 7 slide.

     ----SSSS     Makes psview use a portion of the window that
gives the aspect
            ratio of a portrait oriented 6.8 x 11 slide.

     ----ssss     Makes psview use a portion of the window that
gives the aspect
            ratio of a portrait oriented 5.7 x 11 slide.

     ----vvvv     Makes psview verbose.

SSSSEEEEEEEE AAAALLLLSSSSOOOO
     psh(1), say(1).
     _4_S_i_g_h_t _U_s_e_r'_s _G_u_i_d_e, Section 2,
"Programming in NeWS."
     _P_o_s_t_S_c_r_i_p_t _L_a_n_g_u_a_g_e
_R_e_f_e_r_e_n_c_e _M_a_n_u_a_l.

TTTTRRRRAAAADDDDEEEEMMMMAAAARRRRKKKK
     PostScript is a registered trademark of Adobe Systems Inc.

NNNNOOOOTTTTEEEESSSS
     Assumes a syntactically valid PostScript file.

Page 2                           Release 3.3                        April 1990

--
>From the TARDIS of Mark Callow
msc at ramoth.sgi.com, ...{ames,decwrl}!sgi!msc
"There is much virtue in a window.  It is to a human being as a frame is to
a painting, as a proscenium to a play.  It strongly defines its content."