Abekas A60 Utilities: fromyuv

Steve Lamont spl at duck.ncsc.org
Thu May 10 09:00:48 AEST 1990

In article <9005091237.aa00610 at VMB.BRL.MIL> mike at BRL.MIL (Mike Muuss) writes:
>Steve Lamont suggests having the A60 perform the YUV--RGB conversion
>internally.
>
>My own timings with this show that the A60 takes about 20 additional seconds
>to perform the conversion.  After all, it only has a 68000 CPU.
>So, YUV transfer takes about 5 seconds, RGB transfer takes 25 seconds.
>
>Our Cray XMP can perform the conversion in well under a second, and an
>SGI 4D/2xx CPU can do it in a second or two, so moving the conversion
>operation out of the A60 and into you host usually saves a lot of elapsed time.
>
>Since I usually have a lot of images to send, 20 seconds/frame means a lot
>to me!

Actually, I do the same thing going from RGB to YUV.  I have a similar utility
to the one posted -- vectorizes nicely, too :-).

What I was wondering about was going *from* the Abekas back to a computer.  It
seemed to me that that was a rare thing to do (unless you're using the 601
stuff [did I get that right?] for frame grabbing).  I suppose that if you're
doing a lot of that, the YUV->RGB dingus might be handy, at that.

BTW, can we get *source* for that YUV->RGB thingy, Paul?

							spl (the p stands for
							pixel-ated)
Steve Lamont, sciViGuy	(919) 248-1120		EMail:	spl at ncsc.org
NCSC (The other one), Box 12732, Research Triangle Park, NC 27709
Don't send in no bums.  I want deals.
				-John Steinbeck, _The Grapes of Wrath_