IRIS 3XXX End of Life

Dorothy Liu dorothy at madonna.csd.sgi.com
Wed May 2 11:51:03 AEST 1990

I have received several requests for the Silicon Graphics IRIS 3XXX
End of Life letter.  For efficiency's sake, I am reposting it for
those of you who didn't see it in November:

"Silicon Graphics has shipped over 3500 IRIS 2000 and 3000 series systesm
since 1984.  Most of these systems are currently in production or research
environmnets, providing excellent performance and reliability to their
users.  Silicon Graphics is pleased to have been able to consistently offer
competitive, state of the art 3D graphics workstations to this demanding
marketplace.

Since today's "leading edge" products from Silicon Graphics are RISC based
IRIS 4D and Personal IRIS Workstations and Servers, SGI is not positioning
the IRIS 3000/3100 product line in the mature phase of its product life.
In doing so, we are announcing "end of production" on the IRIS 3000/3100
product line and formalizing the end of production on the IRIS 2000 product
line.  What this means to out valued customers is the following:

1.  Silicon Graphics will continue to offer specific configurations of new
    or remanuvactured IRIS 3000/3100 systema and selected IRIS 2000/3000/
    3100  options, upgrades and software through the end of 1990, subject
    availability and pricing in effect upon receipt of order.

2.  Subject to the general commercial availability or 3rd party supplied
parts, modules and repair services, Silicon Graphics will support the
IRIS 2000/3000/3100 products for a minimum of five (5) years, through
October of 1994.  Our support will consist of the following services:

a.  ON SITE HARDWARE SUPPORT for our Full Support and Full Extended
Warranty customers

b.  ON SITE PARTS EXCHANGE for our Full Support and Full Extended Warranty
customer.  MAIL IN PARTS EXHANGE for our Basic Support and Basic Extended
Warranty customers.

c.  ACCESS TO THE GEOMETRY HOTLINE for our Full Support, Full Extended
Warranty, Basic Support, Basic Extended Warranty and Software Maintenance
Service (SMS) customers.

d.  SPARE PARTS SALES to these customer, VARs and OEMs who perform their
own maintenance.  If SGI a) becomes aware that an outside vendor
is discontinuing a vendor supplied part or module or b) must discontinue
availability of an SGI manufactured Spare because of the unavailability
of a vendor supplied component, SGI will notify irs customers as soon
thereafter as possible.

e.  REPAIR SERVICES for VARS, OEMS AND T&M customers. If SGi becomes
aware that an outside vendo is terminating repair services or is
discontinuing a vendor supplied component needed for repair, SGI will
notify its customer as soon thereafter as practicable.

3.  SOFTWARE SUBSCRIPTION (SSS) will no longer be available for the
IRIS 3000/3100 or 2000Turbo since there will no future software releases
for these product lines.

4.  After the five (5) year support period (ending 10/94), continued support
of the IRIS 2000/2000/3100 products will be provided at the discretion of
Silicon Graphics.  In any event, SGI will provide at least ninety (90) days
prior written notice to its customers of SGI's intent to terminate Support
contracts, repair services and/or spares sales.  At the time of SGI's
notification to its customers to its customers of terminations of Support
contracts, repair services and or spare sales, SGI shall provide its
customers with the opportunity to make a final purchase of such spares.
If the spare is a part or module which SGI buys from an outside vendor,
SGI shall make reasonable efforts to facilitate its customer's direct
purchase of such items from that vendor.

Silicon Graphics intends to maitain a long and continued relationship with
its customers in order to meet your support and expansion needs.  If you
would like more details on the products currently offered by Silicon Graphics
for the IRIS 2000/3000/3100 Series, please call you Silicon Graphics sales
office.  If you need to know the name and number of your sales rep please
call our Customer Information Center for assistance at (800)338-6272."

That is the letter that went to all customers under contract.  If you should
require any assistance in supporting your current 3000 systems or would
like to explore the migration option, please call me (415)962-3299 or email
me at dorothy at sgi.com.

Thanks!

Dorothy Liu
Systems Remarketing