(none)

raymond at ccu1.aukuni.ac.nz raymond at ccu1.aukuni.ac.nz
Wed May 30 10:02:25 AEST 1990

At the university of Auckland we run a SiGr 240 server with System V R 3.2.1
unix.
We have 2 problems.
1. Our primary ports 1 and 3 have hung and cannot be released until a reboot.

2. We experience heavy performance degradation when process use exceeds 64 M
   our real memory size.  This has been imporved by
   (i)  forcing a niceness of 5 on emacs sessions.
   (ii) holding maximum process size at 10000 pages.

   Are there any other kernel parameters or measures we can take to tune the she
   system eg. maximum real storage per process ?
   We are also having trouble with large io wait when the processor is virtually
   idle, well perhaps not a problem but a puzzle.
Ray Martin
System manager
Computer Centre
University of Auckland New Zealand