installing network printers on a 4D

Bill Mannel mannel at sgi.com
Fri Oct 12 01:49:24 AEST 1990

In article <4729 at tahoe.unr.edu> steve at wrc.unr.edu () writes:
>I have just installed a SGI 4D-25TG on our NFS network.
>The laser printer is hooked to the Sun-380 file server,
>and I would like to install this laser printer on the
>4D-25 as a network printer. I tried this using the system
>manager (with the Add New Printer window), and I get a
>stickup message that says "Login incorrect.".
>
>I also tried the same thing from the shell, using the
>proceedure outlined in the Irix System Administrator's
>Guide (p. 9-3), using the mknetpr command. The mknetpr
>command gives me the following message:
>
>Testing connection to print server "wheeler".
>
>Failed to connect to wheeler.
>Make sure "wheeler" allows this machine to connect to it.
>You may need to run "addclient" on wheeler.
>
>First, I ~can~ connect to wheeler (which is the name of
>the Sun file server to which the printer is connected). I
>even have files mounted across the network.
>
>Second, there is no addclient command in Sun OS; this is
>an Irix command.
>
>So, the question is, how do I tell the Sun machine that
>it is ok for the SGI machine to send it lp spooler files?
>
>Thanks in advance for your help with this question.
>
>Steve Wheatcraft                Internet: steve at olympus.wrc.unr.edu
>Desert Research Institute       Bitnet: steve at unsvax.bitnet
>University of Nevada System
>P.O. Box 60220                  AT&T    : (702) 673-7393
>Reno, NV 89506                  FAX     : (702) 673-7397

As of Irix rev. 3.3 we started to support the BSD printing option from
the Iris, but ONLY as a connectivity issue. You can set up the /etc/printcap
file on your Iris to tell lpr to call a remote printer that is running the
lpr print spooler (just like you set up a remote printer between Suns).

If you don't have 3.3, then you need to create a new "model" or
interface program, and place it in /usr/spool/lp/model on your Iris.
All the model needs to do, is "cat" the files to rsh which logs into the
Sun and runs the lpr command, something like this:

cat "$@" | rsh <SunHostname> lpr

If you want to convert lp options to lpr options it becomes a bit more
complicated and you'll have to test for options to lp and based upon what
options are used to call lp, you'll have to call lpr with those options in
the rsh command.

Once you've created your new model, then create a new printer using lpadmin:

/usr/lib/lpadmin -pSunPrinterName -v/dev/null -mRemotePrinterModelName

Enable the printer, accept requests and you're off!

Bill Mannel					mannel at sgi.com
Silicon Graphics, Inc				(415)335-1867
Technical Education