Swap Partitions (again)

sabbagh sabbagh at acf5.NYU.EDU
Wed Oct 24 00:52:22 AEST 1990

In article <9010201727.AA15683 at UZI.MIT.EDU>:
>I'm trying to build GNU EMACS on a PI.  I have successfully built it before
>on a 4D80, but here I've not been able to successfully do the final temacs
>statement -- which the PROBLEMS file tells me is because I have insufficient
>swap space.  This seems very possible to me, but I don't know how to increase
>the amount of swap space I have to complete the compilation.
>Any descriptions of how swap space works would be appreciated.
>Thanks,
>Eugene Gholz
>(eugholz at athena.mit.edu)

I had this very problem this morning!  I have concluded that it is yet
another "feature" of IRIX 3.3.1.  In the past, I was able to build
emacs 18.52 on a Personal Iris under 3.2.  Unfortunately, due to an
extremely bad installation procedure (another story) and minimal back up
(my fault) I had to rebuild emacs under 3.3.1; there was not enough
swap space.

The most reasonable explanation for this is that 3.3.1 takes up more
memory that 3.2, hence you run out of swap space.  Keep in mind that
the Iris gives any process as much memory as it needs; there are no limits
placed on processes.

Unfortunately, I have no idea of how to fix this problem, short of
buying another disk and assigning more swap space on it.  I doubt that
you can nfs-mount a swap partition.

Any ideas, guys?

Hadil G. Sabbagh
E-mail:		sabbagh at cs.nyu.edu
Voice:		(212) 998-3125
Snail:		Courant Institute of Math. Sci.
		251 Mercer St.
		New York,NY 10012

"No talking to invisible people."
				- Sign in Top Dog, Durant Ave., Berkeley
Disclaimer: This is not a disclaimer.