ar()?

David Demers demers at beowulf.ucsd.edu
Fri Oct 5 08:15:59 AEST 1990

Forgive me, I am not a C or Unix expert.  However, I
have to port a piece of software from Sun to PI.
It is to run under X, and the makefile is trying to
use X11_s library (actually, it's looking for X11.a
which is not on the PI version of X11R4 {at least not
on the one I just installed with 3.3 and 3.3.1}).

ld chokes with a message "no symbolic information for
/usr/lib/libX11_s".

Anyone care to advise?  I can't seem to locate ar or
any substitute...  I am using -lbsd.
A pointer to the right documentation would be a good
start.  By the way, the software I'm porting is big
and not mine originally, but the pieces all compile
without complaint.

Thanks for any help,

Dave
demers at cs.ucsd.edu