vmsbackup problems solved

Yates, John H. YATES at C.CHEM.UPENN.EDU
Wed Oct 3 11:22:00 AEST 1990

(Sorry to post this to everyone, but there were too many interested
people to keep track of along the line).

Tony Silva (tsilva%aaec1.uucp at dspvax.mit.edu) solved the vmsbackup
single file restore problem. The trick:

>O.K. I've finally got the answer for extracting selected files. Try
>something like:
>
>	vmsbackup -xvcde '?BIN?ASC2BIN.EXE;1'
 for extracting           [BIN]ASC2BIN.EXE;1
          or

>	vmsbackup -xvcde '*ASC2BIN.EXE*'

I opted for on our SGI:

vmsbackup -xvf /dev/rmt/xmt0d0.1600 '?JY.TEX?STORY.TEX;1'

and it worked!

btw, on sgi the following if test modification was used in vmsbackup.c
(this got it to work, giving directories and extracting a whole save set).
(also thanks to Tony)

#if defined(sun) || defined(sgi)
#define SWAP
#endif

John
yates at c.chem.upenn.edu

P.S. Now, I hope it can pick up in the middle of the second thru last tapes
     of a save set. Will try tomorrow.