rpc.{statd,lockd} problems

Stuart Levy slevy at poincare.geom.umn.edu
Wed Oct 3 13:45:08 AEST 1990

Yes, we did see something similar.  Upon enabling rpc.{statd/lockd} on our SGI
3.3 NFS clients, we found that mail (actually /usr/bsd/Mail) would hang when we
tried to exit after reading mail.  Our mail directory is shared as yours is;
the file server in our case is a Sun running 4.0.3.

The SGI technical support person I talked to didn't seem to know about this
problem; he tried to get me to check sendmail.cf and so forth, not too helpful.
I couldn't tell what was causing this, and we didn't desperately need NFS
file locking, so turned it off.  Mail continued to hang even after the
statd/lockd daemons were killed, but rebooting the client seemed to
clear things up.

So you're not alone but I have no help to offer.

    Stuart Levy, Geometry Group, University of Minnesota
    slevy at geom.umn.edu