C compiler bug ?

Alan Davis davis at MASIG2.OCEAN.FSU.EDU
Thu Oct 18 03:20:54 AEST 1990

I am proting the NCAR graphics code to a 320 vgx running 3.3.1 and ran into the
following compiler bug when trying to compile some X11 code.  I needed to
include some old X11 defs for this version, so added the following line to
the code.

*                                                                      *
*                          Copyright (C)  1989                         *
*            University Corporation for Atmospheric Research           *
*                          All Rights Reserved                         *
*                                                                      *
*                      NCAR View V3.00 - UNIX Release                  *
*                                                                      *
***********************************************************************/

#include	<X11/Xlib.h>
#include        <X11/Intrinsic.h>
#include        <X11/StringDefs.h>
         /* Now located in Xaw (athena widgets) subdir, ACD */
#include        <X11/Xaw/Dialog.h>
#include        <X11/Xaw/AsciiText.h>
#include        <X11/Xaw/Viewport.h>

#define         XAW_BC         /* Needed for backwards compatability, ACD */
#include	<X11/Xaw/Text.h>
#define		ATHENA_TOOLS
#include	<athena.h>

However, when I ran the compiler, the needed lines from Text.h were not
included.  After fooling around a bit, I discovered that it would work if I
moved the define to the front of all the includes.

[...]

Has anyone else porting X11 code experienced a similar problem?  Does anyone
from SGI know if this is a bug in cpp?
--
          Alan Davis                |
     MS B-174, Love 008A            |
Mesoscale Air-Sea Interaction Group | INTERNET davis at masig1.ocean.fsu.edu
    Florida State University        | SPAN   scri1::davis
    Tallahassee, FL 32306-3041      |
         (904) 644-3798             |