How to make NeWS independent of nameservers?

Peter Jaspers-Fayer SOFPJF at VM.UOGUELPH.CA
Sat Oct 20 00:39:20 AEST 1990

>>  does anyone know how to make NeWS independent of nameservers? ...
>
>Thanks to Mark Callow and Dave Hinds ...: under irix 3.3 a new entry
>can be placed in /usr/etc/resolv.conf: hostresorder local bind. ...

But be aware that if you do so, the mere existence of  /usr/etc/resolv.conf
causes the grahic interface [System][System Manager][Networking] to give up
and display  "... The /usr/etc/resolv.conf file exists ... you are not able
to run this tool".   I called this in, and they gave me a song and dance on
how you can really mess  up your system with this file (true), and that the
networking tool was being re-written to allow coexistance with resolv.conf.