ALGORITHM References Wanted: tri mesh clipping

Bruce R. Holloway bruceh at sgi.com
Tue Oct 16 05:15:37 AEST 1990

In article <JIM.90Oct14172452 at baroque.Stanford.EDU> jim at baroque.Stanford.EDU (James Helman) writes:

>I'm looking for algorithms for clipping triangular meshes "on the fly"
>against several "arbitrary" clipping planes.
>
>Some graphics hardware (e.g. SGI's VGX) handles multiple clipping
>planes.  (If we had one, I wouldn't be asking these questions!)  Does
>anyone know how SGI does it?

The VGX clipper knows nothing of meshes, only triangles.
It inputs a triangle and outputs a whole number of triangles.
Clipping a mesh could result in multiple disjoint meshes.

As for clipping against arbitrary planes, this is done at the same time
and in the same way as against the six canonical clipping planes.

Regards, bruceh