grcond error logging

Andrew Cherenson arc at thyme.wpd.sgi.com
Thu Oct 11 13:59:34 AEST 1990

In article <1990Oct10.081718.1012 at urz.unibas.ch> doelz at urz.unibas.ch writes:
>In article <9010031947.AA10488 at chem.chem.ucsd.edu>, sdempsey at UCSD.EDU (Steve Dempsey) writes:
>> Does grcond use a specific syslogd message type that I can redirect to
>> /dev/null in /etc/syslog.conf?
>
>Look in the release notes of the maintenance tape, chapter 6.1. In
>some other context, it says:

The text describing the grcond workaround is incorrectly formatted.
Here's the correct version:

If syslogd(1M) is enabled to output messages to /dev/console
and the console is a wsh(1) window, the system might become
unusable due to an interaction between syslogd and the
graphics console daemon, grcond.  The problem doesn't exist
on machines that use a terminal as the console, such as
POWER Series servers.

Here's a workaround using the filter mechanism in syslogd.
grcond messages are in the ``daemon'' facility. Any selector
lines in /etc/syslog.conf that output daemon messages to the
console must be filtered to remove grcond messages.  A
typical example of such an entry is:

*.debug;kern.none	/dev/console

The steps are:

 1.  Create the shell script called /usr/adm/grcond.filt containing:
----- cut here -----
#!/bin/sh
# this syslogd filter rejects grcond messages
read line
set $line
case "$1" {
	grcond\[*)
		exit 0
		;;
	}
echo "$line\c"
exit 0
----- cut here -----

 2.  Make the shell script executable:
	chmod +x /usr/adm/grcond.filt

 3.  Change syslog.conf entries that print daemon messages
     to /dev/console to use the filter.  Using the example above:

*.debug;kern.none	|/usr/adm/grcond.filt	/dev/console

     Note:  Use tab characters to separate the fields in
	    the syslog.conf entries.

 4.  Tell syslogd to re-read /etc/syslog.conf:
	killall 1 syslogd