Scoop on 4D/35 memory options, anyone?

Mike Gigante mg at
Sun Oct 28 17:21:39 AEST 1990

portuesi at tweezers.esd.sgi.com (Michael Portuesi) writes:

>> Is there anybody out there (who's willing to talk) who knows the valid
>> memory configurations for upcoming 4D/35?  ...

>The remaining SIMM slots on the 4D/35 cannot be filled with 3rd-party
>SIMMs.  Each of the memory SIMMs on the 4D/35 have a custom gate array
>on board.  Obviously, this also means that you cannot put 2x0/3x0
>memory in the 4D/35.

Thanks for the info -- this is helpful for me also. However, it does raise
an important question for me.

If I order extra SGI memory now for my existing PIs (to go from 8 to 16Mb)
with the intention to upgrade the machines to 35s later. Am I going to
have to throw that memory? I am talking about 18 PIs so that is a lot of
money/memory.

I guess the question really is what is the upgrade policy on 4D20/25 to 4D35

Mike Gigante, RMIT ACGC