Scoop on 4D/35 memory options, anyone?

Michael Portuesi portuesi at tweezers.esd.sgi.com
Sat Oct 27 06:16:25 AEST 1990

> Is there anybody out there (who's willing to talk) who knows the valid
> memory configurations for upcoming 4D/35?  Net-illiterate faculty
> member here wants me to find out for him whether he can buy minimal
> 4D/35 (apparently 8 2Mb SIMMS = 16Mb) and then fill up remaining
> SIMM slots with 3rd-party 8Mb SIMMS.  Part Two:  is there word on
> the street about whether SGI 2x0/3x0 memory is the right stuff for
> 35, or is it a new-type SIMM?

The remaining SIMM slots on the 4D/35 cannot be filled with 3rd-party
SIMMs.  Each of the memory SIMMs on the 4D/35 have a custom gate array
on board.  Obviously, this also means that you cannot put 2x0/3x0
memory in the 4D/35.

For more information, see the Oct. 22, 1990 issue of the Electronic
Engineering Times.

				--M
--
__
\/  Michael Portuesi   Silicon Graphics, Inc.   portuesi at sgi.com

"the salesperson is our primary communications tool in leading the
 consumer to believe our products entertain, provide information,
 make their lives easier and more comfortable...our objective is
 to inform the consumer what to buy, and why they need it"