How to make NeWS independent of nameservers?

Kurtis MacFerrin macferrin at slsvax.harvard.edu
Wed Oct 17 06:32:05 AEST 1990

Hi,
	does anyone know how to make NeWS independent of nameservers? When the
nameservers here are down (which is often) it is impossible to do a login
from the console, apparently because NeWS won't start without getting a
satisfactory response from the nameserver re: the identity of localhost. It
seems pretty odd that it would do such a lookup in the first place, and the
NeWS documentation we have is pretty sparse. We're running 3.2.1 incidentally,
but we plan on updating to 3.3.1 this week.
	Thanks.

Kurtis MacFerrin	macferrin at slsvax.harvard.edu