Logical volumes

David A Higgen daveh at xtenk.asd.sgi.com
Sat Oct 6 09:35:07 AEST 1990

In article <1990Oct5.200050.28273 at cid.aes.doe.CA>, aspgasd at cid.aes.doe.CA (Alain St-Denis) writes:

> We are planning to upgrade to IRIX 3.3.1 very soon now and we want to use
> the logical volume feature.  So I read all I found about it in the admin
> guide and the reference man.  One question arose for which I couldn't find
> any answer: Suppose a logical volume that contains two disks.  What would
> be the procedure to restore a logical volume in the event of a disk
> failure?

There is really no "special" way to restore a logical volume if a component
disk crashes. You have to regard the whole volume as effectively one disk, and
proceed as you would if a regular disk crashes: repair the disk, make a new
filesystem, and restore from backups.

In the logical volume case, there would need to be one additional step before the
mkfs: running lvck to restore the logical volume label on the repaired disk (to
re-identify it as part of the logical volume).

			Dave Higgen (daveh at xtenk.asd.sgi.com)