Mail issues

karron at mcirps2.med.nyu.EDU karron at mcirps2.med.nyu.EDU
Thu Oct 18 08:43:36 AEST 1990

When I peruse my (set record=recordfile) copies of my outbound mail, I want to
be able to set the 'showto' variable from the command line (Mail -f
xxx.oldmail showto=1).  I use the showto option (set showto) to see the 'To'
field, instead of the 'From' field, which make more sense when looking at my
own outbound mail.

Is there a mechanism to set this from a command line argument ?  If not, there
should be.

Mail ignores the 'prompt' variable.  You can't to a 'set prompt=MyMachine>>'.
This would be nice, and better if it would get the prompt value from the shell
environment.

Is there a awk script to index mail messages ?  I have used the hack (echo h)|
Mail -f xxx, but it only prints the first screen full of headers.  I would
like to index all my mail, perhaps with an eye toward making a keyword index
that would ignore headers.

I find my self going through my mail archives quite often, and it is a
valuable reference for technical info from the net.

| karron at nyu.edu                          Dan Karron                          |
| . . . . . . . . . . . . . .             New York University Medical Center  |
| 560 First Avenue           \ \    Pager <1> (212) 397 9330                  |
| New York, New York 10016    \**\        <2> 10896   <3> <your-number-here>  |
| Please Note :Soon to move to dan at karron.med.nyu.edu 128.122.135.3  (Mid Oct)|