rpc.{statd,lockd} problems

Amy Swanson amys at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Thu Oct 4 06:11:34 AEST 1990

slevy at poincare.geom.umn.edu (Stuart Levy) writes:

>Yes, we did see something similar.  Upon enabling rpc.{statd/lockd} on our SGI
>3.3 NFS clients, we found that mail (actually /usr/bsd/Mail) would hang when we
>tried to exit after reading mail.  Our mail directory is shared as yours is;
>the file server in our case is a Sun running 4.0.3.

>The SGI technical support person I talked to didn't seem to know about this
>problem; he tried to get me to check sendmail.cf and so forth, not too helpful.
>I couldn't tell what was causing this, and we didn't desperately need NFS
>file locking, so turned it off.  Mail continued to hang even after the
>statd/lockd daemons were killed, but rebooting the client seemed to
>clear things up.

>So you're not alone but I have no help to offer.

>    Stuart Levy, Geometry Group, University of Minnesota
>    slevy at geom.umn.edu

We have been told by our SGI office that this problem will be fixed in the
next maintenance tape release - 3.3.2? - which is supposed to be out this
month.  Can anyone at SGI confirm this?  We are delaying the installation of
3.3 until this tape is released as many of the users depend on NFS mounted
mail partitions for their email use.

Amy

amys at ncsa.uiuc.edu