/bin/mail not setting ownerships correctly?

Jamie Gulden jamison at yuma.acns.colostate.edu
Sat Apr 27 07:34:21 AEST 1991

  This might be a simple mail problem but can't seem to find it in
the manuals.

On a PI 4D/25, IRIX 3.3.2

   when /bin/mail saves local mail from sendmail it leaves the
ownership as daemon and group as mail.  When a user tries to
read his mail with Mail it says there is no mail, while mail
says mail: Invalid permissions.  If you change the ownership to
the user then they can access their mail correctly.

   I've only recently gotten the mail working on the sgi so this
problem can't really be blamed on the 3.3.2 upgrade although
/bin/mail was last modified the day we upgraded.  If the file
already exists with the proper ownership there is no problem
as mail is just appended but, if you read all of you mail the
file is removed and the next time the sgi delivers mail it is
has the wrong ownership.

  I couldn't find anything related listed in the mailer flags.
The manual does say that if you change the permissions on the
file it will not be removed to save the state of the permissions
but this does not see like a valid answer to the problem.

   Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks Jamie.