lp question

Sureshbabu Katta suresh at babu.esd.sgi.com
Tue Apr 30 03:44:11 AEST 1991

!>In article <1991Apr27.222353.5386 at cunixf.cc.columbia.edu>, Peter S. Shenkin writes:
!>Sometimes my system gets into a state in which "lpstat" shows jobs queued up,
!>but the "cancel" command returns the message "PostScript was not busy", or
!>something like that.  The jobs show up using the Printer Tool, and can
!>be deleted using it, but does anyone know what is happening?  Can you
!>suggest a way that I can cancel these jobs using "cancel" or something
!>similar?

!>This is a 4d25 / IRIX 3.2.2 / Transcript / Apple LaserWriter IINT.  I
!>did not get Transcript from SGI;  Columbia has a site-license, so I
!>put it up myself starting with source.

	-P.
!>Peter S. Shenkin, Department of Chemistry, Barnard College, New York, NY  10027
!>(212)854-1418  shenkin at cunixf.cc.columbia.edu(Internet)  shenkin at cunixf(Bitnet)
!>***"In scenic New York... where the third world is only a subway ride away."***

when u are giving cancel command from shell,  if the cancel thinks your printer
name associated with the job is bogus, then it can  give message like this:

printer  <NAME> was not busy.

Printer Tool uses the same 'cancel' command to delete the job.

-suresh 	suresh at sgi.com