Problems with kermit (was Transfer files between PC and IRIS)

Michael Portuesi portuesi at tweezers.esd.sgi.com
Wed Apr 10 02:29:34 AEST 1991

In article <1991Apr9.132543.6472 at zoo.toronto.edu>, Martin Hofmann writes:
> I also use kermit to transfer to/from a PC, mainly to take files home.
> I have however noticed a problem using wild cards in transfers.  The problem
> occurs when I try invoke server mode on the IRIS and then get *.c.  The error
> message says something like, no files found.  Using debug mode on kermit seems
> to point to kermit on the IRIS not properly exapnding the wild cards.  Has
> anyone else had this problem and has anyone got a fix for it?

Yes, I too have noticed that Kermit doesn't seem to expand wildcards
properly when you give them to its command interpreter.  A
workaround is to use the shell to expand wildcards:

kermit -s *.c *.h

will send all of the .c and .h files in the current directory to your
PC (or whatever).

I haven't tracked down the reason why Kermit won't do wildcard
expansion by itself.  Perhaps in my copious free time...

m.
__
\/  Michael Portuesi   Silicon Graphics, Inc.   portuesi at sgi.com

"Republicans understand the importance of bondage between a
 mother and child." -- Vice President Dan Quayle