Problems with kermit (was Transfer files between PC and IRIS)

Mike Goss mgoss at UTDALLAS.EDU
Wed Apr 10 10:12:19 AEST 1991

> I also use kermit to transfer to/from a PC, mainly to take files home.
> I have however noticed a problem using wild cards in transfers.  The problem
> occurs when I try invoke server mode on the IRIS and then get *.c.  The error
> message says something like, no files found. Using debug mode on kermit seems
> to point to kermit on the IRIS not properly exapnding the wild cards.  Has
> anyone else had this problem and has anyone got a fix for it?
> --
> The world is sacred.  You cannot improve it.	| Martin Hofmann, U of Toronto
> If you try to change it, you will ruin it.	| martin at zoo.toronto.edu
> If you try to hold it, you will lose it.	| martin at zoo.utoronto.ca
> 	Lao Tsu, "Tao Te Ching"			| uunet!attcan!utzoo!martin

I've used the kermit '-s' (send) switch to send files to a PC with a wildcard.
For text files, execute the command:

	kermit -s *.c

on the IRIS, then issue a `receive' command on the PC.  For binary files:

	kermit -i -s *.xxx

then use the `send' commmand (the PC treats text and binary files as
equivalent, since MS-DOS text files already have CR/LF as end of line).

Mike Goss (mgoss at utdallas.edu)