Unique answerback for wsh windows ?

DanKarron at UCBVAX.BERKELEY.EDU DanKarron at UCBVAX.BERKELEY.EDU
Fri Apr 5 19:20:38 AEST 1991

Is there a unique string that wsh windows will reply to when interrogated
as to what they are ?

I ask them what they are(qterm terminal interrogation program), and they
answer they are ansi terminals, which is nice, but confuses things when
I try to run on real ansi terminals.

They(wsh windows) should answer that they are ansi terminals,
but if asked nicely , i.e., an alternate query string ,
they should respond politely that they are wsh windows so my login setup
will run properly on iris wsh windows and
ansi character terminals.

By first asking if this is a wsh window, and getting a positive response,
then I don't need to ask if they are ansi terminals. However, an ansi
terminal won't respond to a wsh private query, and then when I do an
ansi query, the ansi answerback is truely valid. A program expecting ansi
terminal emulation will run properly in this setting because it will
get a valid response to a ansi answerback query.

You (I) can get into trouble if you have a console login that starts up
graphics after testing that it is on console. If you run from the alternate
console port (ttyd1) with an ansi terminal, your shell gets fooled into
thinking that it is on the graphics console, and makes a mess.

Someone may want to keep this in mind for 4.0 if it is not already
in the works!

Thanks,

Dan.

| karron at nyu.edu (e-mail alias )         Dan Karron, Research Associate      |
| Phone: 212 263 5210 Fax: 212 263 7190  New York University Medical Center  |
| 560 First Avenue                       Digital Pager <1> (212) 397 9330    |
| New York, New York 10016               <2> 10896   <3> <your-number-here>  |