(none)

Jeremy Higdon jeremy at perf2.asd.sgi.com
Sat Apr 6 13:07:22 AEST 1991

In article <1991Apr5.181825.24858 at leland.Stanford.EDU>, dhinds at elaine18.Stanford.EDU (David Hinds) writes:
> In article <9104050443.aa04455 at VGR.BRL.MIL> UNM10B at DBNRHRZ1.BITNET (Rainer Kleinrensing) writes:
> >Some messages from our SYSLOG are:
> >Apr  2 23:15:00 gt unix: sc0: Unexpected info phase, state 4F phase 36
> >Apr  2 23:15:00 gt unix: sc0,4: Resetting SCSI bus: stray interrupt error, phase
> >Apr  2 23:15:00 gt grcond[296]: CIO: sc0: Unexpected info phase, state 4F phase
> >Apr  2 23:15:00 gt grcond[296]: CIO: sc0,4: Resetting SCSI bus: stray interrupt
> >Unfortunately, we didn't receive any user's manual with the exabyte
> >drive (we didn't buy it from SGI), so we don't know whether we should
> >move a jumper or something similar.
>
> This probably is not your specific problem, but something similar happened
> to us when we installed our SGI 8mm drive.  We started getting occasional SCSI
> bus errors - I don't think they were the same as yours, though.  Our problem
> turned out to be with our SCSI hard drive - there was nothing wrong with the
> tape drive.  In our case, doing an "hinv" showed that the SCSI drive thought
> it should respond to requests to, I think, 4 different device numbers, but
> this hardware problem never showed up until we actually had another SCSI
> device.  Was your SCSI drive an SGI product, or did you install it yourself?
>
>  -David Hinds
>   dhinds at cb-iris.stanford.edu

You start getting these messages any time the signals on the SCSI bus
start getting confused.  It can be caused by a bad device, bad cabling,
bad termination, etc.  In this case, it could well be the 8mm drive,
the cabling that you used to connect the drive, or incorrect termination.
It could also be, as suggested, that your disk is causing problems,
but I would not suspect it first.  How is the Exabyte connected to the
system?