(none)

Rainer Kleinrensing UNM10B at DBNRHRZ1.BITNET
Fri Apr 5 22:07:33 AEST 1991

Hello,
in several of the last info-iris postings I read some questions about
exabyte tapes. We here at the Institute for appl.math, Bonn University,
have a SGI 4D-220 VGX with an exabyte connected to its SCSI bus. We
are experiencing the same errors as described in the question by Mark
Bartelt, especially the tape I/O errors. Mostly we are using the
tps0d4nrv device, our operating system is 3.3.2.
Some messages from our SYSLOG are:
Apr  2 23:15:00 gt unix: sc0: Unexpected info phase, state 4F phase 36
Apr  2 23:15:00 gt unix: sc0,4: Resetting SCSI bus: stray interrupt error, phase
Apr  2 23:15:00 gt grcond[296]: CIO: sc0: Unexpected info phase, state 4F phase
Apr  2 23:15:00 gt grcond[296]: CIO: sc0,4: Resetting SCSI bus: stray interrupt

Apr  3 17:08:33 gt unix: NOTICE: SCSI tape #4 had 1 recoverable Errors
Apr  3 17:14:42 gt unix: NOTICE: SCSI tape #4 had 5 recoverable Errors

The command mt -t /dev/rmt/tps0d4 says
 Controller: SCSI
 Device: EXABYTE: EXB-8200        425A
 Media : READY, write protected, at BOT

Unfortunately, we didn't receive any user's manual with the exabyte
drive (we didn't buy it from SGI), so we don't know whether we should
move a jumper or something similar.
Mr. Olson, you wrote that it could be a termination problem. What
should it be like ? (We have an additional hard disk on the SCSI bus).

Any help on this subject or tips from people who have successfully
connected an exabyte drive to their SGI would be greatly
appreciated.
Thank you very much,
    Rainer Kleinrensing
    Institute for applied Mathematics