What is Screen2.1a ?

jmb at patton.wpd.sgi.com jmb at patton.wpd.sgi.com
Tue Apr 2 01:11:43 AEST 1991

> From: karron at karron.med.nyu.edu (Dan Karron (karron at nyu.edu))
> Subject: What is Screen2.1a ?
> To: jmb at sgi.com
> Cc: info-iris at brl.mil
>

> What does it do ? Why do I want it ?

Screen provides the capability to manage several virtual terminals from a
single terminal (or terminal emulator).

For example, I use it sometimes when I log in to SGI machines from my home
system. With a single modem connection, I can then have multiple logical
terminals supported, for communicating with different machines, for instance.

In the modern world of windowing terminals and X11 you would think that this
program isn't necessary anymore, but then X11 uses huge amounts of bandwidth
which modern modem technology can't quite deliver, and there are more ASCII
terminals of various flavors being sold then ever before. I even use it at
times just on connections within an xterm window between machines - it lets me
manage a huge amount of things going on on a remote machine through a single
connection (and mental context).

So do you want it?

-- jmb