Searching for good vis. software

kmsahr at happy.colorado.edu kmsahr at happy.colorado.edu
Thu Apr 11 06:58:12 AEST 1991

     I'm new to the net so I'll bet this topic has been
addressed before, but here goes... We just got an SGI
4D/340VGX and we need a program for graphing and data
visualization. Ideally, we'd like a program with these
features:

     1. Ability to do a wide variety of plots, from simple 2D
histograms up to large 3D contour and surface plots.

     2. Easy to use; our previous experience with plotting
programs is on Macintoshes. Plotting programs there are very
user-friendly but not very powerful...

     3. Able to run from the console, X-terminals, and
Tektronix terminals.

     4. Able to create contour and surface plots from random
data (i.e., data that doesn't lie on a regular X-Y grid).

     5. Allows us to freely add labels, text, etc. to the
finished plot using Mac-like drawing tools.

     Any input on existing packages of a general nature
(positive and/or negative) would also be much appreciated.
Post or email is fine, if there are lots of email responses
I'll compile and post.

Thanks in advance.

Kevin Sahr
Kaman Sciences Corp