Searching for good vis. software

Martin Hofmann martin at zoo.toronto.edu
Thu Apr 11 23:48:41 AEST 1991

In article <1991Apr10.145812.1 at happy.colorado.edu> kmsahr at happy.colorado.edu writes:
>     I'm new to the net so I'll bet this topic has been
>addressed before, but here goes... We just got an SGI
>4D/340VGX and we need a program for graphing and data
>visualization. Ideally, we'd like a program with these
>features:
>
>     1. Ability to do a wide variety of plots, from simple 2D
>histograms up to large 3D contour and surface plots.
>
>     2. Easy to use; our previous experience with plotting
>programs is on Macintoshes. Plotting programs there are very
>user-friendly but not very powerful...
>
>     3. Able to run from the console, X-terminals, and
>Tektronix terminals.
>
>     4. Able to create contour and surface plots from random
>data (i.e., data that doesn't lie on a regular X-Y grid).
>
>     5. Allows us to freely add labels, text, etc. to the
>finished plot using Mac-like drawing tools.

I would like something like this, and with one more feature:
	6. Ability to produce high quality PostScript output of
the graphs.

Surely, there must something that does this out there in net-land.
Doesn't everbody need to produce graphs of various sorts?

--
The world is sacred.  You cannot improve it.	| Martin Hofmann, U of Toronto
If you try to change it, you will ruin it.	| martin at zoo.toronto.edu
If you try to hold it, you will lose it.	| martin at zoo.utoronto.ca
	Lao Tsu, "Tao Te Ching"			| uunet!attcan!utzoo!martin