Fuji 2266SA problem

Dave Olson olson at anchor.esd.sgi.com
Wed Apr 10 15:51:18 AEST 1991

In <TADGUY.91Apr9170915 at abi2.larc.nasa.gov> tadguy at abcfd01.larc.nasa.gov (Tad Guy) writes:

| Does anyone have experience with Fujitsu 2266SA disks in power series
| workstations?  I've installed these disks in three of our hosts (a
| 4D/210, a 4D/320 and a 4D/340 all running Irix 3.3.2), and they seemed
| to work fine.  However, now that they are getting serious use, I've
| begun to see this message appear in SYSLOG:
|
| 	dks0d2s10: Unrecoverable device error: Internal controller error.

I can't speak to the rest of the problems, but this actually *IS*
descriptive.  The driver is reporting in pseudo-English just what
the drive has just reported, namely that there was an internal
error on the embedded controller that could be recovered from.

In other words, a command failed with check condition status, and
the primary sense code was 4 (Unrecoverable device error), with
an additional sense code value of 0x44 (Internal controller error).

The driver is passing on to you as much info as it got from the drive.
It doesn't sound like this error is related to jumper settings, but it
is possible.

These (or similar) wordings are found in the request sense descriptions
in most scsi device manuals.
--

	Dave Olson