Just how fast are these things, anyway?

Dave Springer daves at martha
Thu Apr 25 08:29:17 AEST 1991

I would like to know just exactly how fast a PI is, and all the other machines
SGI makes.  When I say "how fast" I mean how many 10-pixel marketing lines can
you _really_ get from a client app to the screen; how many 100-pixel marketing
triangles can you _really_ get, etc. (this includes GL overhead,
transformations, clipping, and so on).  Please include price information, like
"On a PI that costs $15,000, you can get 2000 smooth-shaded polygons per sec,
with 3 lights".  Obviously I can get some numbers from the marketing
literature, but I get enough lies as it is.  Please respond directly to
daves at next.com.  Thanks.

der Springer.