Just how fast are these things, anyway?

Gary Tarolli tarolli at westcoast.esd.sgi.com
Thu Apr 25 23:49:42 AEST 1991

In article <558 at rosie.NeXT.COM>, daves at martha (Dave Springer) writes:
>I would like to know just exactly how fast a PI is, and all the other machines
>SGI makes.  When I say "how fast" I mean how many 10-pixel marketing lines can
>you _really_ get from a client app to the screen; how many 100-pixel marketing
>triangles can you _really_ get, etc. (this includes GL overhead,
>transformations, clipping, and so on).  Please include price information, like

The numbers we report in our marketting literature are actually
attainable in a real application.  When we say the VGX draws
1 million triangles per second (or whatever the number is), you
can write a C pgm to get that performance.  The numbers all
come from actual C benchmark programs.  Now this doesn't
guarantee your application can achieve these numbers, but
if you write your code carefully and operate in the same mode(s)
as the benchmark, you can.