Names CDC <-> SGI product line

Peter Silva aspgpas at cidsv01.cid.aes.doe.CA
Sat Apr 27 00:04:57 AEST 1991

As a sysadm of a bunch of Irises, I am frustrated from
time to time because I never know what anyone out there
really calls the products I work with.  We bought our
equipment through CDC, and the marketing types make the
CDC name appear everywhere (except on the first page of
the manuals, where the copyright is attributed to SGI).

So, I have no idea what the heck we have.

If anyone perceives this as a flame to CDC, They're right.
I can understand them wanting users to think they are using
bona fide CDC products, but I think that if someone _asks_
for such information, it _should_ be easily at hand.
Marketing should not prevail over commmon sense.

I would appreciate any documentation which would answer
these questions from them first, but it doesn't appear to
be available (I have talked to several CDC field support
people)

I would like to know what SGI calls these machines so that
I can talk to people (who know about SGI's) about them,
understand the when posts are relevant to me (do I have any
4D/35s ????) and look into acquiring RAM or peripherals from
third parties, etc...

If someone has a summary of the SGI product line (with
descriptions) over the last couple of years, I could
probably piece together the story myself.

If that isn't available,
Here's the CDC name and corresponding hinv for what we have:

	CDC Cyber 910-437

1 12 MHZ IP6 Processor
FPU: MIPS R2010A/R3010 VLSI Floating Point Chip Revision: 1.5
CPU: MIPS R2000A/R3000 Processor Chip Revision: 1.6
Data cache size: 8 Kbytes
Instruction cache size: 16 Kbytes
Main memory size: 8 Mbytes
Integral Ethernet controller: Version 0
Graphics board: GR1.2 Bit-plane option installed
Integral SCSI controller 0: Version WD33C93
Tape drive: unit 2 on SCSI controller 0: QIC 150
Disk drive: unit 1 on SCSI controller 0

	my guess is a 4D/2?

			CDC Cyber 910-460

1 20 MHZ IP6 Processor
FPU: MIPS R2010A/R3010 VLSI Floating Point Chip Revision: 2.0
CPU: MIPS R2000A/R3000 Processor Chip Revision: 2.0
Data cache size: 32 Kbytes
Instruction cache size: 64 Kbytes
Main memory size: 8 Mbytes
Integral Ethernet controller: Version 0
Graphics board: GR1.2
Integral SCSI controller 0: Version WD33C93A
Disk drive: unit 1 on SCSI controller 0

	my guess is 4D/3?

The disks on these two machine types, according to CDC, are the
same, (to the extent that they have the same product number)
in spite of the fact that they look different physically,
install differently, have different characteristics
(ie. no. of heads, formatted capacity), and
different 'sgi-info' disk types.

on the 910-437s ...

----- current drive parameters -----
Read buffer ratio     4/256                   Write buffer ratio   4/256
  Err retry count =   27      Tracks/zone =    1       Sect/track =   36
    Alt sect/zone =    1       Interleave =    1        Cylinders =  967
 Alt track/volume =    0    Cylinder skew =   18            Heads =    9
   Alt track/zone =    0       Track skew =    0  Data bytes/sect =  512
     Cert Pattern =    0
----- sgi-info -----
   serial = 0000                         name = CDC     94161-9

on the 460s ...

----- current drive parameters -----
Read buffer ratio    32/256                   Write buffer ratio 128/256
  Err retry count =   27      Tracks/zone =    5       Sect/track =   47
    Alt sect/zone =    0       Interleave =    1        Cylinders = 1544
 Alt track/volume =    5    Cylinder skew =   16            Heads =    5
   Alt track/zone =    0       Track skew =    5  Data bytes/sect =  512
     Cert Pattern =    0
----- sgi-info -----
   serial = 0000                         name = CDC     94221-5

For Servers, we originally had were something called 920-254's.
Physically they were two squat boxes with 4 VME slots each.

hinv for one of those is:

4 25 MHZ IP7 Processors
FPU: MIPS R2010A/R3010 VLSI Floating Point Chip Revision: 2.0
CPU: MIPS R2000A/R3000 Processor Chip Revision: 2.0
Data cache size: 64 Kbytes
Instruction cache size: 64 Kbytes
Main memory size: 128 Mbytes
Xylogics 1/2 inch tape controller 0 ctlr type: 772 firmware: 2.5
ENP-10 Ethernet controller 0, firmware version 4 (SGI)
Integral Ethernet controller: Version 2
Xylogics 754 4-drive SMD disk controller 0: Firmware version 2.7.0
SMD Disk drive: unit 1 on Xylogics controller 0
Integral SCSI controller 0: Version WD33C93
Tape drive: unit 7 on SCSI controller 0: QIC 150

Recently, they all got moved into tower cases (with 8 VME
slots each) and got a few more gadgets.  I don't know if the
CDC name for those is different (probably).

I would prefer email responses, willl post if interest is
demonstrated.

thanks.
--
Peter Silva			OS Support