Names CDC <-> SGI product line

Dave Olson olson at anchor.esd.sgi.com
Sat Apr 27 06:46:44 AEST 1991

In <1991Apr26.140457.26270 at cid.aes.doe.CA> aspgpas at cidsv01.cid.aes.doe.CA (Peter Silva) writes:

| As a sysadm of a bunch of Irises, I am frustrated from
| time to time because I never know what anyone out there
| really calls the products I work with.  We bought our
| equipment through CDC, and the marketing types make the
| CDC name appear everywhere (except on the first page of
| the manuals, where the copyright is attributed to SGI).
|
| So, I have no idea what the heck we have.
|
| 	CDC Cyber 910-437
| 1 12 MHZ IP6 Processor
| Graphics board: GR1.2 Bit-plane option installed

4D20 (if it says 20 Mhz), then it is 4D25; there are other differences, but
this is the easiest way to tell.)  You have the basic graphics, plus the
24 bitplane option.

| 			CDC Cyber 910-460
| 1 20 MHZ IP6 Processor
| Graphics board: GR1.2

4D25, with basic graphics (8 bit planes)

| The disks on these two machine types, according to CDC, are the
| same, (to the extent that they have the same product number)
|
| on the 910-437s ...
| ----- current drive parameters -----
|   Err retry count =   27      Tracks/zone =    1       Sect/track =   36
|     Alt sect/zone =    1       Interleave =    1        Cylinders =  967
|  Alt track/volume =    0    Cylinder skew =   18            Heads =    9
|    Alt track/zone =    0       Track skew =    0  Data bytes/sect =  512
|      Cert Pattern =    0
| ----- sgi-info -----
|    serial = 0000                         name = CDC     94161-9

CDC (wasn't even Imprimis then, let alone Seagate) 170 Mb unformatted.
The slowest, lowest capacity drive shipped on the Personal Iris (4D20 and
4D25) machines.  No longer shipped, now we use the Seagate half high 200 Mb
(unformatted) as our smallest drive.  It is much faster, and about 20 Mbytes
larger (formatted).

| on the 460s ...
| ----- current drive parameters -----
| Read buffer ratio    32/256                   Write buffer ratio 128/256
|   Err retry count =   27      Tracks/zone =    5       Sect/track =   47
|     Alt sect/zone =    0       Interleave =    1        Cylinders = 1544
|  Alt track/volume =    5    Cylinder skew =   16            Heads =    5
|    Alt track/zone =    0       Track skew =    5  Data bytes/sect =  512
|      Cert Pattern =    0
| ----- sgi-info -----
|    serial = 0000                         name = CDC     94221-5

This is the newer, faster low end drive I mentioned above.

| For Servers, we originally had were something called 920-254's.
| Physically they were two squat boxes with 4 VME slots each.
| hinv for one of those is:
| 4 25 MHZ IP7 Processors

This is the 4D240 (the 2X0 are 25 Mhz processors, the 4 indicates number
of processors).

The 4D3X0 have the 33 Mhz processors, and the newly announced 4D4X0
series have 40 Mhz processors.
--

	Dave Olson