(none)

David Hinds dhinds at elaine18.Stanford.EDU
Sat Apr 6 04:18:25 AEST 1991

In article <9104050443.aa04455 at VGR.BRL.MIL> UNM10B at DBNRHRZ1.BITNET (Rainer Kleinrensing) writes:
>Some messages from our SYSLOG are:
>Apr  2 23:15:00 gt unix: sc0: Unexpected info phase, state 4F phase 36
>Apr  2 23:15:00 gt unix: sc0,4: Resetting SCSI bus: stray interrupt error, phase
>Apr  2 23:15:00 gt grcond[296]: CIO: sc0: Unexpected info phase, state 4F phase
>Apr  2 23:15:00 gt grcond[296]: CIO: sc0,4: Resetting SCSI bus: stray interrupt
>Unfortunately, we didn't receive any user's manual with the exabyte
>drive (we didn't buy it from SGI), so we don't know whether we should
>move a jumper or something similar.

This probably is not your specific problem, but something similar happened
to us when we installed our SGI 8mm drive.  We started getting occasional SCSI
bus errors - I don't think they were the same as yours, though.  Our problem
turned out to be with our SCSI hard drive - there was nothing wrong with the
tape drive.  In our case, doing an "hinv" showed that the SCSI drive thought
it should respond to requests to, I think, 4 different device numbers, but
this hardware problem never showed up until we actually had another SCSI
device.  Was your SCSI drive an SGI product, or did you install it yourself?

 -David Hinds
  dhinds at cb-iris.stanford.edu