Third party memory for 4D/35 (Summary)

Ian S. Small ian at dgp.toronto.edu
Sun Apr 7 06:06:01 AEST 1991

Due to popular demand (by e-mail), I am summarizing the responses I
received to my recent request for information concerning the
availability of third party 4D/35 memory.  I did *not* indicate in my
original posting that I would be summarizing to the net, so I am
abstracting the information that I have received, without attributing
each bit to its source (i.e. if you sent me e-mail, you will remain
anonymous in this summary).  I have not proceeded any further with this
information as yet, so cannot offer any verification of it.  Thanks to
all the people who did respond.

Replies indicated that the following third-party manufacturers are
rumoured to be offering 3rd party memory for the 4D/35:

- Falcon Systems (California), 3rd quarter '91.  I have no contact
  information for them immediately at hand, but probably have it on
  file somewhere here.  I think these people send me glossies on a
  regular basis, which get filed on a regular basis...

- Kingston memory people (these were the people who made
  the third party Power Series memory that I have :-) ) are supposed
  to be looking at 4D/35 memory.  The contact provided is Impediment,
  Inc., Alex Sungaroff (617) 837-8877.  To my recollection, Alex was
  the first supplier to promise and deliver on Power Series memory.
  If Kingston is supplying 4D35 memory, Dilog Canada (at least, I don't
  know about Dilog US) will also distribute it, I would expect.

In addition to this, one responder said that he had talked to people
within SGI about third party memory for 4D/35s, and that the response
was essentially:

(a) Yes, the SIMMs are custom, and are required for high memory
    performance.  (I think everybody understands this to be the case,
    but I'll include this just to make sure.)
(b) There has apparently been talk within SGI of making the custom
    gate arrays available to third party memory producers, but there is
    no word on any final decision about this.

Once again, thanks to everyone who replied.  Please feel free to follow
up my summary of your replies to the net if I've made any mistakes.

ian

--
Ian S. Small (416) 978-6619       Dynamic Graphics Project
				  Computer Systems Research Institute