Pandora and visual login icons

Scott R. Presnell srp at babar.mmwb.ucsf.edu
Fri Apr 26 07:17:18 AEST 1991

rpaul at crow.UUCP (Rodian Paul) writes:

>> No No No No.  You missed the point.  I WANT the icons/images to appear.
>> I just don't want all 150 of them to appear -- junk those that I specify.
>> I need this to be done in such a way that all 150 home directories are
>> not searched by pandora.
>>

>Excerpt from %man pandora

>     If no image exists for a user, a icon representing the user may be
>     displayed. The file /etc/passwd.sgi contains a list of users who will be
>     displayed with a special icon denoting a "built-in" user.
>     This file consists of a series of lines, one for each user. Each line
>     contains a list of colon-separated fields. The first field on each line
>     is the name of the user. Additional fields may be provided. If the fields
>     "noshow" or "noicon" are present, the icon will not be displayed on the
>     login panel. The user will be required to type the full username in order
>     to log in.
>     Users whose home directory does not exist will not be displayed as icons.

Nevertheless, even when noshow or noicon are specified for a user, the home
directory of that user is *still* physically searched! I have the
automount/amd logs to prove it (can you say "mount storm?" - I new you
could!).  This is what the original post was referring to and this this is
why I asked for a SCR.  My guess is it is just some unfortunate coding that
triggers the search of the home area before checking for a "noicon" symbol
in the /etc/passwd.sgi file rather than the other way around.  This is as
of 3.3.1.  Please correct me if you have evidence to the contrary.  Lets
put this one to sleep.

	- Scott Presnell

--
Scott Presnell				        +1 (415) 476-9890
Pharm. Chem., S-926				Internet: srp at cgl.ucsf.edu
University of California			UUCP: ...ucbvax!ucsfcgl!srp
San Francisco, CA. 94143-0446			Bitnet: srp at ucsfcgl.bitnet