Pandora and visual login icons

Wes Barris wes at uh.msc.umn.edu
Fri Apr 26 06:22:42 AEST 1991

In article <9104251729.AA17412 at crow.omni.co>, rpaul at crow.UUCP (Rodian
Paul) writes:
> > No No No No.  You missed the point.  I WANT the icons/images to appear.
> > I just don't want all 150 of them to appear -- junk those that I specify.
> > I need this to be done in such a way that all 150 home directories are
> > not searched by pandora.
> >

> Excerpt from %man pandora
>
>     If no image exists for a user, a icon representing the user may be
>     displayed. The file /etc/passwd.sgi contains a list of users who will be
>     displayed with a special icon denoting a "built-in" user.
>     This file consists of a series of lines, one for each user. Each line
>     contains a list of colon-separated fields. The first field on each line
>     is the name of the user. Additional fields may be provided. If the fields
>     "noshow" or "noicon" are present, the icon will not be displayed on the
>     login panel. The user will be required to type the full username in order
>     to log in.
>
>     Users whose home directory does not exist will not be displayed as icons.

> rpaul%crow at ccut.cc.u-tokyo.ac.jp	phone: +81 (3) 5706-8357
> ccut.cc.u-tokyo.ac.jp!crow!rpaul	  FAX: +81 (3) 5706-8437

I appreciate the few responses I have received.  HOWEVER, certain people
are not listening to what I am saying.  I understand what you have displayed
from the pandora man page -- and it works.  What the man page doesn't say
and what I have been trying to explain is that regardless of whether or
not a line containing "name:noshow" exists in the /etc/passwd.sgi file,
that persons home directory still gets searched!  I don't want that to
happen.  I don't know how many more different ways to say the same thing.

I would rather be able to put a line like "name:show" in the /etc/passwd.sgi
file and have pandora ONLY SEARCH THAT PERSONS HOME DIRECTORY.

    o      _____           ||Wes Barris                    | | wes at msc.edu   |
  .][__n_n_|DD[  ====_____  |Minnesota Supercomputer Center| |(612) 626-8090 |
 >(________|__|_[_________]_|University of Minnesota_______|_|_FAX: 626-1596_|_
 _/oo OOOOO oo`  ooo   ooo  'o^o^o                    o^o^o` 'o^o         o^o`